28 | B I R M I N G H A M T R AV E L G U I D E
5. Alabama Theatre Built in 1927, the Alabama Theatre is one of the nation s last operating movie palaces, featuring first-run and revival films, concerts and other special events. The Mighty Wurlitzer organ still rises from the orchestra pit and is often played to accompany silent films. Tours by appointment. Call for special events schedule. Admission. 1817 3rd Ave N. 205-252-2262. alabamatheatre.com
6. Alabama Veteran s Memorial Amid peaceful Alabama woodlands, you can peruse the names of Alabamians lost to war. A time line in the Memorial walkway outlines historic events of the 20th and 21st centuries, visitors will find descriptions of Alabama s 23 Medal of Honor recipients of the 20th century, and in the courtyard, Medal of Honor stories appear on columns with artwork and letters. I-459, exit Liberty Park. 205-985-9488. alabamaveterans.org
Alabama Wine Trail Wine enthusiasts are delighted to find vine- yards and wineries in the Birmingham area. Be sure to sample the robust muscadine and delicate peach wines made from local fruit. Call for information on tours, wine tastings and hours of operation.
7. Vizzini Farms Winery 800 Hwy 87, Calera (exit 234 off I-65 S). 205-685-0655. vizzinifarmswinery.com 8. Ozan Vineyard & Cellars 173 Hwy 301, Calera (exit 228 off I-65 S). 205-668.6926. ozanwine.com 9. Morgan Creek Vineyards 181 Morgan Creek Lane, Harpersville (26 miles on Hwy. 280 E.) 205-672-2053. morgancreekwinery.com
10. Aldridge Gardens Aldridge Gardens, a 30-acre natural garden with a 5-acre lake, beautiful hydrangeas and now features the largest Frank Fleming Collection in the area, an art gallery on site and sculptures throughout the property. Aldridge Gardens is truly Birmingham area s best kept secret. Aldrige Gardens, Nature and Art in Balance. 3530 Lorna Rd, Hoover. 205-682-8019 or aldridgegardens.com
11. American Village This Colonial-style village is set on more than 100 rural acres, just south of Birmingham. Costumed interpreters guide visitors on a trip back in time to America s journey for independence. Tours Mon Fri at 10 am, noon and 2 pm. Special programs for groups by appointment. Admission. 3727 Hwy 119. 205-665-3535. americanvillage.org